Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wordsworth Editions is set to release Ulysses in January 2010

Wordsworth Editions is set to release Ulysses in January 2010Helen Trayler, Managing Director of Wordsworth Editions has been quoted as saying, "This title I feel is my greatest achievement for Wordsworth, and I am really quite proud of myself." The 1932 edition of the book will be available for £1.99 with notes and introduction by Professor Cedric Watts, from 4 January 2010. Helen Trayler wrote to the Joyce Estate to ask if "there was any possibility that we could come to some arrangement" before the book goes public in 2012. Joyce, who is notoriously protective of his grandfather's work, responded by asking Trayler to "give him the right reasons" for Wordsworth to be given access. Among other reasons, Trayler said: "I told him I have always wanted to do Ulysses but felt that if I could do it before it became public domain, I would capture the market with my edition." Wordsworth is using a painting inspired by the novel, by talented Irish artist Jonathan Barry, for the book's cover image, showing Halfpenny Bridge in Dublin. There are at least 18 editions of Ulysses, although several of them - including the 1932 version, are out of print in the U.K. Both Penguin's £9.99 paperback and the £12.99 hardback produced by Everyman's Library Classics are the revised 1960's version

Technorati Tag: